8 oz nondairy chocolate milk ( I prefer almond milk usually)
1-2 handfuls of baby spinach (the amount depends on your taste buds)
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric (or 1/4 teaspoon if you don’t mind the taste)
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
4 oz, by weight, frozen mixed berries
Protein powder (1 scoop, optional, if you’re looking for protein)
Cacao nibs for garnish (optional)
I’m always looking for ways to increase my daily servings of fruits and vegetables. While ideally I eat them rather than blend and drink them, in the mornings, it’s easiest to blend them and pack in as much as possible in a glass.
There are several superstar ingredients in this smoothie. In addition to being packed with antioxidants, the following ingredients are quality sources of nutrients, including:
- Spinach: Vitamins such as A, B6, C, and K; folate; and fiber.
- Flaxseeds: omega-3s and fiber.
- Raw cacao powder: magnesium and iron. Cacao beans are treated at low temperatures to reduce damage to the nutrients and the cocoa butter is then removed to reveal raw cacao powder. It can be purchased at most health-conscious stores.
- Mixed berries: Vitamin C, iron, and fiber.
- Turmeric: antioxidant properties greater than Vitamins C and E and is a good source of iron.
- Cacao nibs, optional: read more about cacao nibs here
Blend all ingredients until smooth. Garnish with cacao nibs (optional). Enjoy immediately!